28 January 2013

Kristian's Top 25 Books


One of my dreams is to have a man cave that looks like this...

Jay Walker's private library. I'm a tad bit envious.
Or at least an awesome stair case like this...

The smartest stairs on the planet

Yup. I'm a reader. I love me a good book. I wasn't always like this. In fact, I don't think I picked up a book all through high school. Just ask my teachers.

But a few years ago, Em and I moved to Portland, Oregon [totally awesome place. Make sure you put it on your Must Visit List]. And I started taking the light rail into work. The ride was about 40 minutes each way. And well to pass the time, it was either people watch, which I enjoyed, but folks found a bit creepy, "Why is that guy staring at me". Or I could read. Thus began my love affair with books.

I thought it would be fun to share a list of my top 25 favorite books. This list always changes. I suppose it would stay the same if I stopped reading. But that is unlikely to happen anytime soon. The list is in no particular order...except for the top two. They are by far my favorite. I suppose I should break the list up into categories but I'm not going to. I'm just going to list them as they come to mind. I'd love to hear what some of your favorite reads are. I am always looking for good recommendations.

Ok. Here we go. [Each book is linked to amazon, just click on the title to purchase. Some are even free if you have a Kindle]

  1. John Adams by David McCullogh - A must read if you are at all interested in American History. It is about both the second president and the founding of this here United States of America. It is also a beautiful love story between John and his wife Abigail. I don't want to give anything away, but I cried at the end of the book. On a train packed full of people. Yes. You read that correctly. I, Kristian, was a slobbering mess during the morning commute. 
  2. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky - A wonderful book about family, inter-contentedness, and how small actions make a difference. Warning - The first 3/4 of the book are a slog to get through. But the last 1/4 is totally worth it. Folks such as Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, and Martin Heidegger have hailed it as one of the supreme achievements in literature.  Bonus - This book has one of the greatest essays on free will and man's relationship to Christ ever written. If you can't slog through the whole book at least read The Grand Inquisitor. The best part?  The Kindle version of both the book and the Grand Inquisitor essay are FREE!
  3. Westerly Gales by E.C. Williams - This comes in third only because I just finished reading it. I would have never found this little gem without a recommendation. [hence my not so subtle request for recommendations from you] It's definitely a guys book as it is all about the Navy chasing down pirates in a forgotten future. 
  4. The Hunting of The Snark by Lewis Carroll - This is more of a long poem than a book, but it is simply enchanting. I want to read it with my kids when they get a bit older. That Lewis Carroll was one creative cat. 
  5. Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut - An American Classic. Fun, odd, thought provoking read. 
  6. What Ever it Takes by Paul Tough - A fabulous and true story of Geoffrey Canada and his work to improve the education of children in Harlem. I firmly believe that if he is successful, Canada [the man not the country], will change the lives of a whole generation of kids. I highly recommend reading this book and then watching the documentary Waiting for Superman
  7. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien - This was recommended by a workmate from the Portland, OR days. I am so glad he did so. It's a beautifully written book about the things, both physical and emotional, soldiers carry during and after war. It is powerful and emotional. 
  8. Brave New World /1984 by Aldous Huxley / George Orwell - Ok so this is really two books. Which puts my list at 26...I know it says 25 in the title: under promise and over deliver right?!  But how awesome is this...Huxley was actually Orwell's literature teacher. Pretty cool eh? The books are powerful dystopian novels. Both are quick reads, highly entertaining, and thought provoking. 
  9. Enders Game by Orson Scott Card - Considered by many as one of the greatest science fiction books ever written. It is the story of how gifted children save earth from an alien invasion. I hear it is soon to be made into a movie. 
  10. Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcom Gladwell - An enjoyable academic read...but not too academic. Gladwell is a master at taking boring scholarly research and writing a book that doesn't make you feel like you're back in college listening to a musty, old, and tragically ill dressed professor. This book looks at why some folks are successful. 
  11. Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins - "A British newspaper once said Tom Robbins writes like Dolly Parton dresses." Still Life is a crazy story with wild twists and turns. Robbin's writing is immensely creative and mind bending. Warning - contains some potty mouth language. 
  12. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall - A captivating read on how the human body is designed to run. Did you know that at least 2.5% of everybody's genes are Neanderthal? That's right. Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens were getting it on back in the cave man days. I wonder if it was a bit like Romeo and Juliet. Forbidden love between two species. One of the reasons why we've out lasted the Neanderthals is because we, homo sapiens, are built to run. 
  13. The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe - Ok...this is technically a short story. But it's incredible. What makes it incredible you ask...Masterly use of the English language by Poe. Plus it's a darn good story. Especially if read on a dark and stormy night. 
  14. A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel Pink - Interesting short book on changing economic dynamics and how we need to be more creative to stay a head of the competition. 
  15. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - If you like the world of fantasy this is a good book for you. Rothfuss spins a good tale. For me, it came across as a sophisticated Harry Potter. Rothfuss would probably have me put in the stocks for that remark but there are a lot of similarities. It is one of the better books to have come out in this genre in a while, and I think a much better read than the over-hyped Game of Thrones [Song of Ice & Fire] series.  
  16. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs - A fun quick read. It was recently made into a movie called John Carter. This is a good story for dads to read with their young pre-teen boys. It's a gripping story of a Civil War soldier who suddenly finds himself fighting another war except this time on Mars. 
  17. Human Accomplishment: The Pursuit of Excellence in the Arts and Sciences by Charles A. Murray - Major NERD ALERT. If you read this book be prepared to feel like you are back in college. It is very much like reading a textbook. But I'll tell you what, it's intriguing. Murray, an acclaimed academic, looks at some of the great artistic & scientific accomplishments. Basically, he is writing humanities resume. He also explains why the true genius is so rare.  
  18. The Adams-Jefferson Letters by Thomas Jefferson and John Adams - Jefferson and Adams were two of the great men who have ever lived. They were also two of the most significant players in the establishment of the United States. [In fact the Constitution draws heavily from Adams writings] The two were very dear friends and wrote often, particularly late in life after retiring from public office. The letters are a fascinating look into the minds of two political geniuses. 
  19. Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh - An interesting read into the creation of the online shoe store Zappos. And along the way, the book explores happiness. 
  20. Joseph Smith by Robert Vincent Remini – Joseph Smith is a fascinating character. He established the first great American religion and the first global religion since Mohammad walked out of the desert. Remini, a non-Mormon, is a recognized Jacksonian scholar who applies his considerable skill in telling the story of this American prophet. 
  21. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane – An interesting tale about a young man who wanted to fight in the Civil War. His mom forbids him, but he enlists anyway. It is an exploration into the psyche of a young solider. How will I react when the shooting starts? Will I stand firm or will I run like a scared rabbit?
  22. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair – Most folks probably read this in high school. I’m sure I was supposed to read it, but seeing how I never picked up a book…I finally got to it a few years ago. Gripping read. Makes you appreciate those who came before us and fought to ensure we have much more favorable working conditions today.   
  23. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway – I am not sure why I am putting this book on the list. I hated it. Except for the last line of the book. It is the single most genius sentence I have ever read. But, you have to read the full book to appreciate the mastery of the final sentence. Another reason to read the book…Hemingway transformed the writing of his day. It is good to be exposed to those talents who fundamentally alter the course of an art form. Hemingway was the master of short sentences, which I am clearly not. My favorite Hemingway story is six words: For Sale. Baby Shoes. Never Used. 
  24. DIY U: Edupunks, Edupreneurs, and the Coming Transformation of Higher Education by Anya Kamenetz - Another NERD ALERT. I worked in Higher Education for years, so I am naturally interested in the subject. But anyone who has kids going to college in the next 5-10 years should give this a read. Colleges are going to look very different in 10 years than they do today. Why? The internet. 
  25. Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs - A classic good read. Fun. Quick. Makes you want to swing from the trees. I want to read this with my kids when they are around 7 or so.  

4 comments:

  1. Great list. Must admit one of my favourite books is 'John Adams' also. When I went to DC a couple of times I felt him come alive. I am looking for a good book on when the Americans fought the British. Revolutionary War. It was amazing in Boston when I saw the re-enactment to see how hard the "new worlders " fought to gain control. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should ask Natalie. I know she has a couple of books from that era she really likes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Have you read any of Gladwells others? I really liked Blink. Also in that same vein but more geared toward marketing Seth Godin (linchpin is great) has some great reads. I think 1776 also by McCoullough would be a good recommendation if you liked 'John Adams'... I know they are kind of pop culture, but I really liked the "Hunger Game" series, quick reads but can be thought provoking. "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" is a fun WW2 time period series. Its written almost entirely in correspondences. I think one of my top ten is "To Kill a Mocking bird" but I had to read it again later in life to add it there. Great post, I've now added to my "must reads" a slew of books, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Blink but I did read The Tipping Point. Which I thought was O.K. I did read 1776. Another great read from McCoullough. Also, I read the Hunger Games. They were good. I thought about putting them on the list, along with the Harry Potter Series, but they just missed the cut-off. I'll have to pick up the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I did read to Kill a Mocking Bird in High School. Though I don't really remember it and I imagine it would take on new meaning now that I have a bit more understanding of how the world works.

    ReplyDelete

“To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.”
― Mark Twain