04 February 2013

Fitness + me


My first connection to fitness was my brother Jeff and his weight set.  I remember hearing him pump iron in his room and thinking he was too cool for school.  Indeed I thought everything he did was cool because he got to do it all, way before I did as he is 12 years my senior.  I realize now that he had two uses in mind for that weight set:  1. To attract girls via the effects of pumping iron.  2. To repel girls (me), by putting that "iron" in front his bedroom door so it couldn't be opened from the outside.  Privacy is valuable with three sisters around.




From a young age I also looked to my Aunt Melanie as a fitness inspiration.  I adored her in every way.  She was on the cusp of teaching step aerobics right when it went main stream.  I remember wishing so much that I could go to one of her classes.  




I begged my Mom to join a gym which I realize is totally whack at the young age of thirteen, but my dreams at that age happened to include a gym. A gym membership was insanely expensive back then, which meant joining one was out of the question.  The next best thing?  Waking up early on Saturday mornings to make sure I caught the hi-lo aerobic show on PBS.  This was after all back in the day when you had to watch television shows when they were actually on, otherwise that was that, you missed your one and only chance. This hi-lo program encouraged ages 10-99 to participate, after all, there was a level for everyone.  Level 1: barely moving, level 2: add some arms, level 3: dude you look like a sweaty manic.  And then to be sure you were on the right track they would ask you to march in place, take your pulse, and their target hart rate chart would flash on the screen.  Next came the big purchase of a VHS step aerobics tape, and a step to be used with said tape.  My sister and I would take turns using the  step and we eventually worked up to using two risers on each side, booyah!
 Around this time I remember thinking it would be really cool to have a job as the boy I was in love with at the time worked, so why couldn't I?  I happened to know the manager at the very gym that my Aunt Melanie had taught at several years before.  One day when a friend and I were out for a bike ride we ended up stopping in the gym to say hello and I was offered a job to work in the kid's club.  I remember riding home as fast as my legs could go to tell my parents the good news.  I had a job (at 14) and I finally could go to a gym, and I had accomplished this all on my own.  Soon after I started my new job I remember going to my first step aerobics class and feeling exhilarated,  and I didn't have to do that same step aerobics VHS tape for the 52nd time.




90s flashback anyone?  Leotards, hi-tops, spandex, action!



Thanks to my fitness idols igniting my fitness buzz and the free gym membership I scored via my first job, fitness has enhanced my life and I feel passionate about passing that buzz onto others.  I have taught group exercise classes over the past 10 years including kickboxing, cycling, boot camp, yoga, and step.  And in 2011 I became certified to teach body pump.  Fitness has helped me to recover more quickly after having my babies, it gives me the break I need while raising those babies, and it is something that I can do for me, it is my gig.  I hope to ignite the fitness buzz in you, or maybe it is already there, it just needs to be re-buzzed.


Check back on Wednesday to read fitness + you.

What inspires you?  What are your fitness goals?  Why do you do what you do?

Bench press image  via 
Step image  via 
Heart rate chart via

No comments:

Post a Comment

“To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.”
― Mark Twain