18 February 2013

podivation



images via here and here

We all have at least a few chores we loathe.  Mine are laundry and dishes, they are the proverbial black hole and there are days that I find myself lacking any kind of motivation to get them done.  My solution?  Podcasts!   Podcasts are my ticket to making the mundane enjoyable.  And, while I am grateful to be able to stay home with our two children, I need some kind of intellectual challenge during the day, and podcasts fulfill that and provide a nice escape from all things kid all day long.  Podcasts take me outside of my bubble without physically leaving it, and the cherry on top?  A discussion with Kristian about what I have listened to, I enjoy hearing his insight and perspective.

No ipod?  You can listen to podcasts on your computer as well.  Here are my favorite weekly podcasts:

This American Life
Ira Glass is the host, and each show has a theme.  There are a few stories in each episode, which are usually true, that are told within that theme.  You can subscribe via itunes, or another podcatcher and you can also purchase archived episodes here.  One of my favorites is episode 361 entitled Fear of sleep.  It is fascinating and funny.  In fact, one of the stories told in this episode was made into a movie called sleep walk with me, which is available on itunes and netflix.  It is a bit slow moving, but is completely true, and completely funny, especially if you know of someone that does crazy things while asleep.

Radio lab
The format of this show is similar to This American Life, but it has 2 hosts that play off of each other, and there is usually some science and sleuth work involved in answering a question or two. You can subscribe via itunes or RSS feed here.  One of my favorite episodes is Colors.  It is one of those subjects so fascinating that I find myself thinking about it for hours after I have finished listening.  They discuss how some humans can see a more vast color spectrum than others, and they ask the question, why is the sky blue?

Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
I like this show because it is light-hearted and fun, but is also very informative.  It is basically a game show, full of trivia questions that have to do with current events in the news.  In every episode they have a person of interest on to play one of their games, they have a caller play a game, and they have a panel of 3 that participate throughout the show.  Reading or watching the news can be such a downer, that is why I really enjoy catching up on current events once a week sans the bad after taste.  Podcast here.
 
The Dave Ramsey show
No matter your financial situation, this show will help you to stay focused on whatever your financial goals may be.  I learn something new every time I listen, and I like the foundation that Dave's show is based on.  You can sign up for the podcast here.  If you aren't familiar with his book The Total Money Makeover,  it is one that I definitely recommend.

May you find motivation to do your least favorite chores by way of podivation!
Maybe you already do?  If so, what podcasts do you recommend?


Check back in later this week to see our makeover of this bookshelf.







No comments:

Post a Comment

“To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.”
― Mark Twain