06 February 2013

Fitness + you

On Monday I wrote about fitness + me, today my post is all about fitness + you.  Whether exercise is a habit or you want to make it a habit, let's talk tips.  There are so many options out there, it is all about finding your niche and pacing yourself.

Time of day.
Just like getting any habit to stick, choosing a time of day for exercise is a major part of making it a regular part of your week.  So take your pick: early morning, during your lunch break,  while your kids are at school, after work.  What consistently works best for you?





Activity
Does the gym intimidate you or is it beyond your budget?  Go for a walk or a jog with your baby in the stroller.  Find a walking or running partner and chat it up to make the time go faster.  If you prefer to exercise at home check out what is offered on demand with your cable provider, sometimes they have a nice selection for free.  Your local library might also have a nice selection of exercise DVDs or VHS tapes.




If you have a gym membership or want one, group exercise classes are great way to stay motivated.  There are a variety of classes.  Some are choreographed which can make the time go by really fast, and if choreography isn't your thing there are always classes like cycling, bootcamp, or on a treadmill.




Amount of time.
Ease your way into whatever activity or class you are doing.  For example, if you go to a one hour class having not exercised recently don't expect to stay for the full time or you will just end up feeling frustrated with yourself. A simple guideline would be going for 20 minutes each time you attend the class the first week, and 30 minutes each time the second week and so on. That way you can slowly work up to that hour knowing that you will reach your goal in a predetermined amount of time.



A new challenge.
Last year when I realized that Kristian was training for the Ragnar Relay and his first triathlon, my brother Jeff was training for a triathlon, and my Aunt Melanie was training for her first triathlon I felt extreme motivation to challenge myself, especially because they are all at least 10 years older than me.  I wasn't going to go as far as a triathlon. I am not a strong swimmer. But then again, neither is my Aunt Melanie which didn't stop her.  She nearly drowned during the swim portion of her first triathlon, but she did it and as she crossed the finish line she signed up for how-to-swim-any-stroke-besides-treading-water lessons.  She is seriously hard-core and an inspiration.  Anyway, with all of that motivation pulsing through my veins I signed up for my first 10k.  I decided that would be a long enough distance that it would force me to train for it.  My friend Wendy and I ran outside together twice a week and then I usually ran another time each week on the treadmill.  It felt great to train for something, I got extra chatting in with a friend, and I met my goal: to run it (6.2 miles) in just over an hour.  If you are new to exercise or a veteran, it helps to keep it fresh by challenging yourself in a new way and trying something new.


Here I am in all my nerd-glowing glory.  The race started at 10 pm so glow sticks were handed out to light the way.  Races have such a cool vibe.



The winter blues.
Here in Utah we have had temps in the teens and have rarely seen 40 this winter.  So much snow has come that it lost it's enchantment long ago.  Come February, winter can be so depressing.  Because of that it is essential to get your workouts in so that your body can produce those mood boosting endorphins. Changing up your routine in the colder months is a great way to avoid old man winter getting you down.  If getting up early in the freezing cold just isn't happening try going to the gym at a different time of day until spring brings warmer weather and an earlier sunrise.  Or if early morning is still your best bet to get those endorphins going just change your location during the cold months and exercise at home instead of venturing out into the cold to get to the gym.  Most gyms offer the option of freezing your membership, and that way you can still get your workouts in and not allow winter to freeze you.



My final tip is to check back in on Friday for our Friday link love post.  There will be links to some quality resources for getting in some great workouts at home, as well as incentives for getting yourself to the gym, don't miss it!

quote image via
group exercise image via
Clock image via

No comments:

Post a Comment

“To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.”
― Mark Twain