15 February 2013

Friday link love [on food]



Microwave popcorn - I have had a long and taste-bud-satisfying relationship with microwave popcorn until a few years back when I realized it is covered in hydrogenated fats.  I recently discovered a new way to make it cheaper, better tasting, and healthier: in a brown paper bag!  I put 1/2 cup of popcorn kernes in a bag, fold the top of the bag down a few times and in my microwave I cook it for 2:25.  Then I can control what goes on my popcorn, real butter is better for you as mentioned in our post earlier this week, and your taste buds will love it.

Pinterest - Have you cooked or baked anything via a pinned recipe?  I have not tried every single recipe that I have pinned, but all that I have tried have been great.  If you are interested in following us on pinterest, here are the links to my boards: breakfast, savory, and snacks, and Kristian's food board.  We try to stick to the 80/20 rule.  80% of the time we focus on eating for health, and 20 % of time it's all about eating things because they rock our world.  You only live once.




Mastering the art of french cooking - Julia Child was a fascinating, driven, and inspiring person.  A few years back Kristian gave me her cook book that was made more famous to our generation in the movie Julie and Julia.  I have not cooked my way through it, but I have tried a few recipes and one of our favorites is the recipe for cream of onion soup on page 14, it is the best I have ever had.

Before we left Portland and moved here [Utah] in 2010,  a friend of mine and fellow foodie, gave me the book My life in France which Julia Child wrote herself.  She is a fantastic writer, and her passion for food is infectious.  I would highly recommend it.







Yelp - This site is a great resource to look up reviews about many things, but our favorite foodie way to use it is for reviews on restaurants.  The reviews are written by anyone that wants to write one.  I love to use it when I am about to purchase a groupon, living social, or restaurant.com gift certificate.  A great deal to a shot-in-the-dark mediocre restaurant isn't worth it, but a great deal at a restaurant that gets great reviews is a foodie-on-a-budget's   para.   para.    paradise.


Seriouseats - This link comes highly recommended courtesy of Kristian.  I just checked it out and I can see why.  The photography is amazing, warning: don't go browsing hungry or you might suddenly feel that your life's mission is to take the next flight to NYC, go straight to the east village with hopes that you make it while breakfast is still being served. Here are some two of their posts that caught my attention:
  •  A Downton Abbey dinner party - This is my kind of dinner party, if you are going authentic that means dressing like you are in the Great Gatsby, and that your paid live-in help will prepare and serve dinner.  This idea is sounding better and better.


  • DIY grape soda - It's never to early to start putting all of your warm weather hosting day dreams to work, and making some perfect-for-summer drinks at home.

And finally, maybe I will surprise Kristian this weekend by making this burger!

Meet us back here next week for some DIY projects, and music we love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

“To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.”
― Mark Twain